Postpartum hemorrhage (PPH): Diagnosis and management.
Module by: Margaret Burnett.
- Recognize the most common causes and list the four “T’s” in the differential diagnosis of acute PPH.
- Outline a systematic approach to emergency treatment of PPH. List commonly available options for pharmacological management. Perform simple procedural and surgical management.
- Outline an approach to management of PPH refractory to simple measures. Manage lower segment bleeding, uterine rupture, and refractory uterine atony that may occur after cesarean delivery. Be able to use laparotomy to address refractory PPH.
- Anticipate and prepare for emergency peripartum hysterectomy (EPH) in a patient with identified risk factors. Identify the team, equipment, and skills required to perform EPH. Outline a technique for rapid subtotal hysterectomy.
- Definition, Risk Factors, Etiologies
- Management: Approach after Vaginal Delivery
- Management: Approach after C/S
- Techniques: Bakri Insertion, Compression Sutures
- Emergency Peripartum Hysterectomy